Make sure your appliances properly maintained as part of Gas Safety Week 2019.
North East Lincolnshire Council and ENGIE are proud to support Gas Safe Register’s annual Gas Safety Week, from 16 to 22 September 2019.
Gas Safety Week aims to raise awareness of gas safety at home and highlight the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances
Without proper maintenance, you may be at risk of gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Councillor John Fenty, cabinet member for Housing at North East Lincolnshire Council, said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer, getting your gas appliances safety checked could be the difference between life and death.
“It’s crucial everyone gets their home appliances checked regularly and Gas Safety Week is the perfect time to do it before temperatures drop and the heating goes on.”
To keep you and your family safe, follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:
- Know the symptoms of CO poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness.
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way.
- Don’t cut corners – only employ a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer when having gas work carried out in your home.
- Always ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. Make sure you check the back of the card, which will state which gas appliances they are qualified to work on.
Keep up-to-date with Gas Safe Register’s updates and advice throughout Gas Safety Week by following @GasSafeRegister on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and search #GSW19.
Gas Safe Register is the official register for legally qualified engineers.
You can find a registered engineer by visiting the Gas Safe Register website at www.gassaferegister.co.uk or by calling on 0800 408 5500.
For more information about gas safety, funding towards energy efficiency improvements in North East Lincolnshire, contact the Home Energy team on 01472 326296 option 5.
General energy efficiency is can also be found at www.nelincs.gov.uk/homeenergy. People on some benefits may also be eligible for money off boiler replacements.