Local pet-care service Petpals, who walk and visit pets for busy Grantham owners, are urging dog-owners to learn which foods are poisonous for their dogs and keep them out of their way this Christmas.
Wendy Turner, owner of Grantham based Petpals said:
Sadly for dogs, many of our favourite human Christmas treats such as mince pies, Christmas cakes, nuts, grapes and chocolate are highly poisonous to dogs, so we’re asking Grantham residents to spend two minutes looking at this list to ensure they remember not to leave any tempting but potentially terminal foods or Christmas items around this Christmas.
- Xmas pudding
- Xmas cake
- Mince pies
- Blue Cheese
- Plus: Yeast
- Chewing Gum
- Cat food
Two other products that see owners rushing to the vets at Christmas is ingestion of batteries and anti-freeze. If the dog pierces the battery it can cause chemical burns and heavy metal poisoning. If it is swallowed whole it is possible it will cause a blockage. Antifreeze (Ethylene glycol) is very dangerous. It’s sweet-tasting, very palatable to a dog and even a relatively small quantity can cause serious kidney damage and be fatal. The longer the delay between ingestion of the anti-freeze and initiation of treatment the less favourable the prognosis.
Naturally, if you think your dog has ingested any of these items, please call your vet immediately.
For a complete list of foods and items that are poisonous to a dog visit: www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/dog-care-advice/poisonous-to-dogs/.
To contact Wendy for information about dog walking, dog and cat boarding or any of the services she offers, please call her on 01476 401003, email her, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website www.petpals.com/area/grantham.