The Get Going Awards on Friday 25 November at The Baths Hall celebrate the achievements and successes of young people and their families who have completed the weight management programme.
Get Going is for children and young people aged four to 16 years old who are above a healthy weight and live in North Lincolnshire. The Get Going team provides a personalised and supportive approach to childhood weight management.
The successful programme enables children and their families to access free one-to-one sessions in their home or community setting. Each session aims to empower and motivate children to make healthier lifestyle choices.
Since the programme started in April 2013, the team has worked with over 350 families. They have been encouraged and motivated to make healthy lifestyle changes, improving their physical and emotional wellbeing now and to help reduce the risks of adult obesity, cardiovascular disease and diabetes as they get older.
The awards ceremony will celebrate the achievements and successes of the families that have completed the programme over the past year.
All families will be presented with a certificate for graduating from the programme. There will also be individual awards given out. They are:
- Most Active Award – an award for making changes around increasing physical activity
- Healthy Eating Award – to recognise efforts made in improving nutrition and making changes in healthy eating
- I Can Award – an award to recognise increases in confidence and self-esteem and the positive outcomes achieved
- Family Award – to recognise a full family approach and the positive changes made collectively as a family
- Inspirational Award – a special award for a young person who has made significant healthy changes and inspired others
Some highlights of the Get Going programme include:
- Two out of three children taking part have reduced their BMI score
- 93 per cent of families completed the programme
- 100 per cent of parents reported their family’s knowledge of healthy eating has improved
Cllr Carl Sherwood, cabinet member for Health and Wellbeing, said:
This is the second Get Going Awards in North Lincolnshire which recognises the brilliant achievements and highlights the successes of children and young people, and their families.
Since Get Going started in 2013, we have seen hundreds of families through the door looking for weight management and healthy lifestyle advice and support. The success rate of those taking part is fantastic. This is all down to the families’ hard work and dedication.
I would like to say congratulations to everyone involved in the programme. You should be proud of everything you have achieved.